Ingredients (serves 4)
- 800g butternut or Queensland Blue pumpkin, peeled, cubed
- 1/2 tsp each ground ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs rum or Amaretto
- 1/2 cup cream, plus extra to serve
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 200g (1 cup) tightly packed brown sugar
- 225g (1 1/2) cups plain flour, sifted
- 100g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tbs icing sugar
- A little milk, to brush
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- To make the pastry, place the flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough chilled water (about 4-5 tablespoons) for the mixture to come together to form a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to chill.
- Meanwhile, wrap the pumpkin in foil, place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly, then place pumpkin in a food processor with the spices, vanilla extract, rum and cream and process to combine.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar in a small bowl, then stir into the pumpkin mixture.
- Roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm pie dish. Trim the pie and reserve excess pastry. Line with non-stick baking paper, then fill with pastry weights or rice and blind bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and weights, then pour in the pumpkin mixture. Roll out reserved pastry and use a leaf-shaped pastry cutter to cut out leaves to decorate edge of pie. Brush the leaves with milk. Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C and bake for a further hour until the filling is set. Set aside to cool. Serve with the extra cream.